- Work with FCNL
Reporting to the Senior Accountant, the Staff Accountant is an integral part of the Finance and Administration team. The Staff Accountant provides support to the Senior Accountant to ensure that FCNL’s financial management is performed in accordance with organizational guidelines, best accounting practices and that work is done as efficiently and effectively as possible.
FCNL works for social and economic justice, peace, stewardship of the environment, and good government. Since 1943, the Friends Committee on National Legislation (FCNL) has brought Quaker values to bear on national policy through congressional testimony, Capitol Hill visits, grassroots lobbying and long-term campaigns. We accomplish this work through focused legislative campaigns, educational activities, publications, email and social media and a robust web site, among other tools. FCNL witnesses from a basis of spiritual and ethical purpose and seeks to change government policy and practice for the better.
In the last decade, tens of thousands of new people have been drawn to join the FCNL network to learn more about federal policy issues, lobby their elected representatives and help to rebuild our democratic system. Today, our nationwide network of some 60,000 includes people from many different faiths and backgrounds. Headquartered on Capitol Hill in Washington, DC, FCNL is governed by a General Committee of about 190 people from across the country and employs a staff of approximately 50.
Key Priorities and Responsibilities
- Performs monthly accounting closing process. Informs constituents regarding all accounting issues to complete this process on a timely basis.
- Manages accounts payable, including preparing invoices for payment and printing checks, research of bill payment status, annual preparation of 1099s and changes in vendor information
- Provides staff training on all functions of accounts payable
- Posts daily, online bank deposit(s) and posts entries from fundraising software (Raisers Edge) into accounting software (Financial Edge)
- Coordinates with Development staff to resolve differences that may arise from processing
- Prepares bi-weekly payroll from time entry system and HR reports. Creates payroll journal entries
- Supports staff time entry function, including time sheet communications, training and updating projects in the payroll and accounting systems
- Reconciles monthly credit card reports
- Assists the Senior Accountant with state charitable registrations and annuity reporting
- Actively involved with annual financial audit under supervision of Senior Accountant
- Manages and coordinates various projects as assigned by Senior Accountant
- Assist in enhancing and the implementation of finance policies and consistent accounting practices; improve the finance department’s overall policy and procedure manual
- Prepare other financial analyses and special one-time projects as requested by the Senior Accountant
Experience and Attributes
- Accounting knowledge and 3 - 5 years relevant accounting experience. Business/accounting degree preferred
- Demonstrated ability to work with Microsoft Office Suite, and a computerized general ledger and accounts payable system. (previous experience with Blackbaud’s Financial Edge General Ledger, Accounts Payable, and Raiser’s Edge desirable)
- Excellent organizational, problem solving and communication skills
- Ability to work well under pressure and to deal readily with constant change as well as fixed routines
- General interest in legislative issues and public policy; comfortable with FCNL statement of legislative policy
This is an non-exempt position, full-time position based on a 37.5-hour average work week.
Compensation and Benefits
Salary is commensurate with experience and relation to other similarly sized non-profits in the Washington, DC market. Robust benefits package includes health, dental, vision, life, short- and long-term disability, generous retirement plan contribution, paid time plus holidays, parental leave, and more.
How to Apply
Submit cover letter and resume detailing specific qualifications and experience to firstname.lastname@example.org. No recruiters please.
FCNL seeks to create a diverse workplace. We are actively soliciting applicants from all ethnic, racial and religious backgrounds.
This position description is not intended to be all-inclusive. The employee is expected to perform additional tasks as directed by the supervisor.