- Legislative Ask
- Immigrants & Refugees
Protect Dreamers Immediately
Congress must protect Dreamers by enacting the Dream Act of 2017 without exacerbating endless and cruel enforcement.
When President Trump ended the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, he left almost 800,000 DACA recipients to face an unknown future. Congress must act to protect Dreamers by passing the Dream Act of 2017, but they should not use that legislation as a vehicle for increased spending to increase border enforcement, expand immigrant detention, further militarize border communities, or build a wall on the southern border.
Protect Dreamers immediately. Support the Dream Act of 2017 and oppose endless enforcement.
- The bipartisan Dream Act of 2017 would allow undocumented immigrants who entered the United States when they were younger than 18 and have lived in the country for four years to apply for a conditional permanent resident status.
- Applicants who satisfy work, educational, or military service requirements would be eligible to apply for a green card and follow the regular process toward citizenship.
- Protecting Dreamers should not put other immigrants at risk of deportation, or violate the civil rights of border communities. These costly changes, which turn Dreamers into political bargaining chips, will not fix a broken, punitive, and outdated immigration system.
FCNL Contact: Hannah Graf Evans, email@example.com
Values-Driven Immigration Policy
The Friends Committee on National Legislation is led by the scriptural call to welcome the stranger. We seek congressional immigration reforms that recognize the gifts, contributions, and struggles of immigrants to ensure equity and justice for all.
Our nation’s immigration policies should:
- Keep families together
- Bring accountability and community engagement to border policies
- Create a path to lawful status and citizenship
- Protect all workers, regardless of immigration status
- Align immigration enforcement with humanitarian values
- Preserve the human and civil rights of all immigrants
- End mass incarceration of immigrants
- Uphold international and U.S. law obligations to protect refugees, asylum seekers and survivors of human trafficking