- Advocacy Resource
New Congress. New Start.
The 116th session of Congress—the most diverse in history—officially convenes today. It begins with the government still partially shut down and no single party controlling Congress.
But with it comes fresh opportunities to work for change and new reasons for hope. After two years of hyper-partisanship and bitter fights, the new Congress needs to hear that we are counting on them to get to work addressing the problems we face.
Many new congressional offices still haven't gotten their communications systems up and running yet, but if you are fired up and ready to engage, we hope you’ll encourage your elected officials to visit the FCNL offices on Capitol Hill.
Here are six other ways you can be prophetic, persistent, and powerful with FCNL in 2019:
- Write Congress: Telling your story, and explaining why an issue matters to you, is a foundational part of advocacy. Please invite your friends and family to join you in this important work by signing up for our weekly, focused email action alerts.
- Organize an In-District Visit: Visiting the district and state offices of your members of Congress is a great way to start building a relationship. Learn the basics of lobbying and go to fcnl.org/congress to look up your member of Congress.
- Bring FCNL to Your Meeting: Organize your Quaker meeting or faith community to advocate.
- Form an Advocacy Team: Our Advocacy teams are engaged in high impact advocacy throughout the country. Learn how you can launch a team that will meet monthly and lobby members of Congress on a single issue for an entire year.
- Opportunities for Young Adults: Join young leaders (ages 19-30) at our Spring Lobby Weekend, where we’ll advocate for comprehensive immigration reform. Not a young adult? Help us spread the word about this and other great programs we have for young adults.
- Support This Work: FCNL can have 21 lobbyists on Capitol Hill and a growing, diverse network of volunteer lobbyists around the country because of financial support of thousands of people. Make a donation today.
Friends, we have real opportunities to advance our legislative priories for the 116th Congress and move closer to the world we seek this year. I look forward to working alongside you.