- Work with FCNL
Director of Information Technology
The Director of Information Technology is responsible for strategic and operational management of FCNL’s technology and Data Strategy Plan. This position plays a pivotal role in ensuring the organizational excellence and stability of FCNL through information technology.
This Director of Information Technology reports to the Associate Executive Secretary for Finance, Administration and Buildings and works closely with senior leadership, users, and the Data and Technology team to help determine the best way possible to meet the organization’s technology needs. This position will manage the IT consultants and Data Systems Manager.
This is a new position. FCNL is currently at the outset of an ambitious 5-year Strategic Plan. One of the key projects for the Director of Information Technology will be implementing a large-scale data strategy initiative. This Director of IT will oversee and implement the plan to better integrate data management systems and will guide FCNL in upgrading technology to effectively support organizational growth.
FCNL works for social and economic justice, peace, stewardship of the environment, and good government. Since 1943, the Friends Committee on National Legislation (FCNL) has brought Quaker values to bear on national policy through congressional testimony, Capitol Hill visits, grassroots lobbying and long-term campaigns. We accomplish this work through focused legislative campaigns, educational activities, publications, email and social media and a robust web site, among other tools. FCNL witnesses from a basis of spiritual and ethical purpose and seeks to change government policy and practice for the better.
In the last decade, tens of thousands of new people have been drawn to join the FCNL network to learn more about federal policy issues, lobby their elected representatives and help to rebuild our democratic system. Today, our nationwide network of some 60,000 includes people from many different faiths and backgrounds. Headquartered on Capitol Hill in Washington, DC, FCNL is governed by a General Committee of about 190 people from across the country and employs a staff of approximately 50.
The Finance, Administration and Building team manages all financial and accounting functions, IT and Data Management functions, office services and facilities for a staff of more than 50. This team is also responsible for overseeing the day-to-day operations and upkeep of FCNL’s green building (the first on Capitol Hill), the Quaker Welcome Center, and the second office space located at 518 C St NE.
Key Priorities and Responsibilities
Infrastructure and Networks
- Oversee all strategic and technical projects as well as IT-related operations supporting the organization’s IT infrastructure for FCNL Staff.
- Responsible for organization’s effective use of many software and data solutions
- Implement and maintain a business continuity plan and disaster recovery process
- Monitor and resolve overall security issues
- Oversee computer rotations, security audits and general IT equipment tracking & maintenance
- Establish and enhance the organization’s IT policies to support the implementation of procedures and systems set by leadership
- Work with the AES for Finance, Admin and Buildings to maintain the departmental budget and ensure IT resources are available when needed
- Supervise and support the Data Systems Manager, and IT consultants to bring more technological efficiencies to the organization and streamline current setups
Overall IT Strategy & Data Architecture
- Orchestrate implementations and upgrades to coordinate execution among software and data solutions.
- Test, monitor and review the performance of software and data solution implementation and upgrades
- Report progress of infrastructure and data integration performance to leadership
- Devise and maintain data management principles and resolve challenges of data integration across multiple platforms and work functions
- Develop and oversee data architecture systems for the organization and departments
- Train and inform FCNL staff and new hires of the IT environment and IT policies.
- Collaborate with leadership to present recommendations and provide proposals for upgrading current software systems and new products
- Work with the Associate Executive Secretary for Finance, Admin and Buildings to manage leadership’s needs within the overall software and data strategy execution process
- Inform and consult leadership team on matters of IT and data governance
Skills and Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s in computer science or IT related field required; master’s degree is a plus
- Minimum of 8 years of experience in similar roles, a high level of technical knowledge, and experience working in the nonprofit sector.
- Prior experience as an IT Director or similar leadership role within an IT department
- Ability to identify, research, and resolve complex technical problems for a busy and growing organization.
- Understanding of MacOS and Windows-based networks in an office environment.
- Experience with management information systems, database management technology, migration and implementation of various IT and data systems and networks.
- Familiarity with Raisers Edge NXT and other Blackbaud products as well as Microsoft 365 Office products and other non-profit data collection software solutions, is a plus.
- Excellent project management, communication, leadership, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to envision opportunities and needs, and apply technical and operational skills as needed
- Comfortable working in an office environment that reflects the Quaker testimonies of peace, equality, simplicity, and truth; and working within the Quaker process of FCNL.
This is an exempt, full-time position based on a 37.5-hour average work week. Due to the nature of the position, occasional evening and weekend work is expected.
Compensation and Benefits
Salary is commensurate with experience and relation to other similarly sized non-profits in the Washington, DC market. Robust benefits package includes health, dental, vision, life, short- and long-term disability, generous retirement plan contribution, paid time plus holidays, parental leave, and more.
How to Apply
Submit cover letter and resume detailing specific qualifications and experience to firstname.lastname@example.org. No recruiters please.
FCNL seeks to create a diverse workplace. We are actively soliciting applicants from all ethnic, racial and religious backgrounds.
This position description is not intended to be all-inclusive. The employee is expected to perform additional tasks as directed by the supervisor.